History of Hubli
Rayara Hubli flourished under the Vijayanagara Empire and came to be known as a major commercial centre. It dealt in the trade of saltpeter, iron and cotton that contributed a great deal to its economy and aided its development.
Different Empires in HubliThe Mughals
The Adilshahis were soon forced to leave the place as the Mughals conquered it. Hubli came under the rule of Savanur Nawab who constructed a new extension that was named Majidpura. As Savanur was busy handling the matters of the city and planning to develop it further, trader Basappa Shetty developed the area around the fort maidan, Durgadabail that came to be known as the New Hubli. Hubali encompasses a beautiful Moorusavira Matha which is said to be set up in the Basaveshwara period by a Sharana.
Then came the Marathas; they overthrew the reigning ruler Savanur Nawab and conquered the place in 1755-56. Hubli was subsequently conquered by Haider Ali and recaptured by the powerful Marathas in the year 1790. The administration of the old and new town of Hubli was given to two different people. While a Peshwa named Phadke administered the old town, the new town was administered by Sangli Patwardhan.
The British soon invaded the old Hubli and Peshwas were left with no other option but to hand it over to them in 1817. The new town rested under the administration of the Sangli Patwardhan for 3 more years that is until 1820 when it ultimately came under the British Rule in lieu of the subsidy.
The cotton and iron trade flourished further during this time and the city’s economy saw an upward trend.
The ancient temples in Hubli such as the famous Chandramouleshwara temple and Bhavanishankar temple boast of the marvelous Chalukyan architecture which is an evidence enough to prove that the Indian royal dynasty, the Chalukyas also ruled this part of Karnataka. They left a mark here by constructing beautiful edifices that are still intact.
The Chalukyas were known for ruling various parts of central and southern India from the 6th century to the 12th century.